If you haven't been following me long... let me introduce you to my best pal Boston. Boston and I spend a great deal of time together. See, I work from home so when I am not traveling for work he is not just my dog and best bud but also my co-worker. We enjoy being home alone together as well as getting out of the house and hitting the nearby park for a walk, run or bike ride (he pulls me!).
When the weekends come, the water and the trails are were Boston and I really want to be. As a Labrador his natural state is in the water swimming about and chasing sticks. Being a young active and growing dog takes energy, stamina and a good diet to back it up.
When it comes time to nourish Boston, we want him to have the best so that we can ensure he and I can do the things we enjoy but also that he can have a long and happy life. Boston eats Core by Wellness. We made the switch a few months ago in Boston's diet to more all natural and grain free options that Wellness provides that are high in protein.
The response by Boston was immediate. As you can imagine it is hard to tell if a dog likes something especially when it comes to food. I knew right away that Boston was enjoying the Core by Wellness far better then the brand we offered him prior too. See, as mentioned Boston and I spend quite a bit of time together and we have a routine.
Normally, Boston would get fed in the morning as I would be making my coffee. By the time I would go back into the kitchen to make my lunch, his food bowl would still be full. Some days it would be near dinner time before he would eat his old food. You are probably think we were feeding him gross. Not so, we were feeding him something recommended and approved by our vet and what we had always fed our previous dogs.
Since we changed Boston's diet, wow, what a change. Our routine is the same but the results are quite different from the old food. Boston gets fed in the morning while I make my coffee. Usually, by the time I am done making my coffee, he is done eating and licking his chops! It's amazing. I know dogs can't speak and we have to be perceptive to understand the subtle cues they give us to understand how they feel and what is going on their heads. I have no other way to take this behavior other then, he really likes his food!
We all buy tons and tons of gear of ourselves to help enjoy the outdoors. Well, what about our favorite outdoor companion? They don't require much to be outside or too truly enjoying themselves. Yet, there are a few things that could help your best and most faithful bud get to and fro easier and with a little more ease and comfort.
I hope the list below helps you find just what you are looking for this holiday season.
Keep Hiking Forward!
Scott & "Boston"
Contributed by Laura Cromwell, Cabela’s
You’re probably close to finishing Christmas shopping for your family, but did you remember to get your four-legged family member a Christmas gift? Below are some gift ideas for happy tails on the trail.
1. Pet Gear Travel Lite Full-Length Tri-Fold Pet Ramp – Get your dog in and out of the car with ease. The skid-resistant treads prevent slipping, even when wet. Ramp sports a tri-fold design that is easily stored and rubber grippers for steadying the ramp.
2. Cabela’s Rectangle Comfy Cup Dog Bed – After a long day of adventure, let your dog rest in soft, supportive comfort. Surrounded by faux suede paired with plush-tipped Berber and cradled by high-loft polyfill, this bed is what dog dreams are made of.
3. Zuke’s Z-Filets Dog Treats – Reward your dog with these delicious meaty treats that are filled with nutrient-rich rosemary, sage and turmeric.
4. Ruffwear Quencher Cinch Top™ Dog Bowl – Keep food secure and at the ready with this compact, soft-shell dog bowl. The waterproof liner doubles as a water dish for when he’s done eating.
5. Hurtta America Cooling Dog Vest – Keep your dog cool outdoors when the weather gets warm. Simply dip the vest in cool water, wring out and place on your pooch. Vest protects the heart and chest area while maintaining proper circulation.
6. K&H Igloo-Style Lectro-Soft Heated Dog Bed – For outdoor shelters, garages or basements, this 20-watt orthopedic bed heats up to 102°F to aid in sustaining your dog’s body temperature. Ultrasoft PVC exterior prevents moisture absorption for long-term use and the 5.5’ steel-wrapped electrical cord resists damage from chewing.
7. Sentry® FiproGuard™ MAX – Protect your dog from fleas, ticks, lice and mange-inducing mites for up to 30 days with this powerful, waterproof formula. The active ingredient, fipronil, kills fleas and ticks in as little as one hour and destroys adult fleas before they lay eggs.
8. Ruffwear Palisades Pack™ – These lightweight, ergonomic, forward-positioned and weight-conscious saddlebags are built for all the rugged conditions nature has to offer. Pack can carry all your dog’s essentials such as food, water, bowls, treats, first-aid supplies and toys. The built-in Comfort-Fit Web Master™ Harness frame ensures good structure, stability and a balanced load. Its contoured, athletic cut with five adjustment points offer a customized fit that prevents movement or shifting of the saddlebags. Pack includes trail-centric features such as two collapsible hydration bottles, H20 bladder, stash pockets, waterproof zippers, reflective trim and more.
9. Dokkens™ Pocket-Sized Dog First-Aid Kit – Treat your dog’s injuries with a compact kit that includes a skin stapler, self-adherent wrap, gauze pads, nonlatex gloves, alcohol prep pads, povidone iodine pre-pads, suture removal kit (with littauer scissors and 4” metal forceps), first-aid manual and carry case.
10. Cabela’s Deluxe Quilted Backseat Hammock – Keep your car seats clean from muddy paws and wet fur with this rugged, waterproof and machine-washable hammock. Convenient zipper placement quickly converts the hammock to a backseat cover to allow passengers to sit comfortably. The seatbelt sleeve adds extra protection from dirt and water.
Hikers who take their dogs out on the trail know the devotion and companionship man’s best friend has to offer, so why not give him something special under the tree? Give a gift that will have him looking forward to the adventures of 2015.
Hiking Forward Stickers